Monday, August 15, 2016

"TASTES LIKE A CRUNCHY HARD BOILED EGG WITH FEATHERS!"

Week 9
August 15, 2016



Wow... What a week!  I am loving it here.  The culture is waaaaayyyy different, but awesome.  This week was very rewarding.  The best and most rewarding part of the week was Sunday.  On Sundays we have been teaching a part member family, the "B"family.   They have six kids and  only two of them are members (and only one of them lives here).  Yesterday, we taught the family for the second time and the lesson went great.  We committed all five of the non-members to be baptized.  We were so happy.  The best part was the daughter, "M", texted us after the lesson and said that "we were sent from heaven to baptize her family."  Our hearts were so full. not only will we baptize this whole family, but now they will be together forever....so awesome!  The work this week has been great and we now have eight people committed to baptism in only a week and a half.  

Okay, some experiences from this week...  On Sunday, we were walking home in the pouring rain.  It rains so much here...I think  it has rained 12 days straight.   We decided to get a motorcycle ride because we live quite far from our area.  Riding on the motorcycle was the driver, me, and Elder Paxon.   We started driving back home when all of the sudden the driver started going soooooooo fast... in the pouring rain!   We were coming up on the turn for our house and he was still flying, and even speeding up...we were like 300 yards from the turn to our house.  Elder Paxon and I were saying so many prayers!  Haha.  He continued to drive like this through our neighborhood until we got to our house.  This was seriously one of the scariest moments of my life!  

The Food
I have been really enjoying the food here.  (who is this kid and where is my son?)  Two new food items for me this week were,  first ...balut.  It was actually pretty good, it just tasted like a crunchy hard boiled egg with some feathers.  haha.   I'll definitely eat it again.  Second,  I ate fish a few times.  I had what's called "milkfish" last night and it was really good.  The fish is fried then you dip it in sowsow (no clue on the spelling of that... lol) but the sauce has vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, peppers, and some other spices.  It was SO good.  

The Language
The language is coming along.  I am still lost a lot of the time, but I'm starting to be able to get what people are saying and communicate a bit.  I've already improved quite a bit since the MTC.  I just cant wait until I'm fluent.  

The work is great and I love it here.  I know that I was sent to the Philippines for a reason and I know the Lord is preparing people for the true gospel of Jesus Christ.  Have a great week. I love you all.

Elder Andersen


Pictures from the week:  

Our House
Market
Our Church Building 


Soaking wet

Bathroom 
Bedroom
Ocean
Balut
Eating Balue
Carbao (Phillipines version of a Bison)



No comments:

Post a Comment